Quotes and Things to Think About
- “The older we get, the more … you realize there’s a whole range of things you will never do, of things and people you will never be. As life becomes more and more limiting, there is something wonderful about being able to get inside the skin of people unlike yourself.” – Lee Smith (via Christina Baker Kline)
- “Stress is a choice. Do you buy that? Some people have a hard time with the idea. …Yes, bad things happen: The economy sours, our business struggles, the stock market tumbles, jobs are lost, people around us don’t follow through, deadlines are missed, projects fail, good people leave. Life is full of these. But still, stress is a choice because whatever the ‘trigger event,’ we always choose our own response. We choose to react angrily. We choose to stuff our emotions and keep quiet. We choose to worry. …Stress is a choice.” (via Simple Mom)
- “An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton (via GirlTalk)
- “God does the same thing with you, over and over again. He meets you in one of the difficult hallways of your life, kneels down before you in love, and asks you to trust his loving and wise rule, even though you don’t have a clue what he is doing.” (Paul Tripp, via Desiring God)
- Whatever he uses to crush our self-sufficiency and self-righteousness is good for us. The tools he uses may be different for you. The path is worn and the process is painful no matter the means. But take heart. (An excellent post from Life in Grace)
- “Every single thing that happens to us expresses God’s love to us, and comes to us for the furthering of God’s purpose for us. Thus, so far as we are concerned, God is love to us–holy, omnipotent love–at every moment and in every event of every day’s life. Even when we cannot see the why and the wherefore of God’s dealings, we know that there is love in and behind them, and so we can rejoice always, even when, humanly speaking, things are going wrong. We know that the true story of our life, when known, will prove to be, as the hymn says, “mercy from first to last” — and we are content.” – J.I.Packer (via GirlTalk)
- An unusual way to think about family size: rather than basing the whole decision on the baby’s sleepless nights, consider what kind of family you want when you’re 50, 70, 90… (via The Wall Street Journal)
- Helping little girls sort out their emotions so they can control them – excellent post from Femina.
- “Success as a mother doesn’t begin with hard work or sound principles or consistent discipline (although those are all vital components!). It begins with God: His character, His faithfulness, His promises, His sovereignty. And as our understanding of these truths increases, so will our faith for mothering. But if our practices (no matter how useful) aren’t motivated by faith, they will be fruitless.” (via GirlTalk)
- Thoughts on talking to your girls (via Femina)
- Great reference for teaching character (thanks Vicky!)
- Unbelievably adorable baby shower cookies (A Little Loveliness)
- An heirloom take on the basic pillowcase dress (A Little Loveliness)
- I love MacGyver cooking: here’s how to make a pizza crust out of zucchini!
If you’re looking for something to read