Fennel Beats Celery

I finished painting the living room and dining room on Sunday night, but two of the kids were battling stomach flu at that point and I just didn’t have it in me to blog.  Everyone seems better now and I’m loving the color change.

I started out painting the living room Celery Ice, but realized the next morning that the color was ALL wrong.  Our house faces north, so the light is always weird and indirect, and the celery color looked far too thin and cold especially next to my valances.  I sighed deeply and went to get more paint.  The second color I tried, Fennel Splash, is much better.  I began to wonder if I was suffering some sort of vitamin deficiency to cause me to pick colors with vegetable names.  Hm.

Sorry for the disheveled look of the living room, the kids had just been playing in there and stuff was askew.  But you can see how much better it looks than it did before.

The color is subtle: in some lights it looks tan, in some it looks more green, but it is fairly neutral while still helping the white mantel and woodwork pop more.  I think the whole downstairs looks more “done” now and I am pleased.

Have you tackled any home improvement projects this spring?

This entry was posted in Homekeeping. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Fennel Beats Celery

1. Amanda says:

Looks GREAT!!! Who would’ve thunk that something named “fennel” would make things turn out so pretty??

And hmm…you’re one of “those people” whose room looks perfect with largely no evidence of small people in existence but who says, “pardon the mess…everything’s out of place.” ;-) (Please note the teasing tone…this is not a criticism!) :-) :-)

• I wasn’t trying to be annoying – when I look at that picture I see the lampshade half off the lamp on the right, the couch cushions all messed with from the kids playing “let’s lose our feet” in the gaps, the ottoman fabric all pulled around, the stroller pushed into the picture… But I guess if you don’t have the backstory of the shenanigans that were going on in there while I was taking pictures of the dining room, perhaps you wouldn’t notice.

But you’ll notice I only rarely post pictures of the playroom and have NEVER posted one of a bathroom. So no, I’m not one of these perfect people!

2. a. borealis says:

You’re so fancy. Hilarious, because when you apologized for things looking “askew”, I had to double-check the picture and I STILL didn’t see anything messy or off-kilter.

I like it, it looks nice. :) Our home improvement projects this spring have included digging out a new garden (christened the “West Garden”), planting the main garden (the “East Garden”), planting the herb garden, and tidying up/adding to the flower beds around the house. My husband even dug a little pond and put in a lily! We are going to get goldfish for it, for added atmosphere and to eat the mosquito larvae. We had one in Minneapolis, too, and it was so fun to see the water reflecting on the ceiling inside. (It isn’t huge, only perhaps 2 feet in diameter and 3-4 feet deep.)

Inside? Disaster zone.

• I love that you have the West Garden and East Garden! And what a cool idea to have a pond and fish! I fear that would never last around my kids, who would want to put on their boots and go tromping around in there and probably squash the fish. But the idea is lovely. :)

3. a. borealis says:

I just looked at your “before” picture – and yes, it looks so much cozier. Pretty! It is AMAZING what color can do for a room, isn’t it? It really, really makes a big difference. White is so blahhhhhhhhhh.

4. Monica says:

I was hoping that you would post pictures. It is very beautiful and very Catherine:)

We are going to do a bedroom redo this summer. We have to get our ceiling replaced due to hail damage/ leaking, so I think it’s a great time to paint. I have ideas, but nothing I’m loving yet.

• The first color I tried was from Home Depot, but then I went to Lowe’s and I thought their colors were much better – much more variety and not so weird. They also had a lot more to choose from in oops paint. If you don’t have anything specific in mind, maybe you’d find something you like in an oops section? They were only like $5 for a gallon!

5. I was wondering if you were knee-deep in paint (or, I hate to say it, vomit) :-) . It looks great!

We did redo a bathroom (actually, dh did) back about a month ago. The only other home improvement project going on now is finding a place for all the new little boy clothes the baby I’m set to deliver any day now will eventually wear. ;-)

6. Mom says:

Wow! Catherine, that looks fabulous! And it really showcases Nana’s painting over the mantel. What a lot of hard work in spite of the sick kids. I know you love it and I can’t wait to see it in person next weekend!
    If you don’t like the vegetable name, you could rename it blog stripe green!

7. Jennifer says:

It’s really pretty. I am one of those people who has a hard time moving away from white on the walls (too many years in military houses I guess) but I did manage to paint my kitchen yellow when we moved in. I do like the colors on your walls better than the white.

We are tackling outdoor projects this year, and doing a major clean out of all things Morgan. I am tired of holding on to so much and since it doesn’t look like we will be having another baby any time soon, I am getting rid of a ton of stuff. I am looking forward to the outdoor projects and how it all looks when we are done.

• Jen, that’s why it took me so long to paint the downstairs – I guess we had too many years of “we leave the walls white!” drummed into us. :) I hear you on the kids’ stuff. I’ve been getting rid of more things because I noticed that Sarah didn’t even play with most of the baby stuff, she was too busy playing with the bigger kids’ stuff. So I figure if we have another baby eventually he/she will probably do the same. And the sheer volume of kid paraphenalia is staggering, even though I feel like we don’t buy much!

8. Amanda says:

I felt like I should come back and totally apologize – I HOPE HOPE HOPE you knew that I was completely 100% teasing about your ‘messy’ room!!! I love blogs, but I hate blogs; it’s soooo hard to discern tone of voice. In any case, I hope you didn’t think my comment was calling you out on anything, I was just gently laughing because your home looks so great. :-)

9. Lisa says:

Looks beautiful! Isn’t accomplishing a task refreshing!

10. Honey says:

Hi Catherine,

I love the new paint job. It looks amazing. Our walls could really use a new layer of paint (or two or three) to freshen them up a bit.

Blessings