I used to have an exercise video back in high school (which is why it was a video, not a DVD) in which the perky instructor would tell you what to do and then say, “If this doesn’t feel good to you, change it! March in place or do something that you like to do!”
That always made me laugh, because what I would have liked to do had more to do with sitting on the couch with a good book and less to do with grapevines and triple-knee-ups.
Amy from Uncluttered Design, who did the fabulous site redesign for A Spirited Mind earlier this month, recently launched a new venture called Blogging with Amy, a how-to guide for building a blog that works for you. Her post on identifying your passion to find your niche included a bunch of questions to help the process. I was surprised that I found them so easy to answer. I like a lot of things some of the time, but only a few things all of the time. Below are Amy’s questions and my answers.
- What enjoyable activity do you get so involved in that you frequently lose track of time?
Reading and writing
- If you were given one week to spend any way you liked (and all your responsibilities were taken care of), what would you do?
Read and write and hang out with my family.
- If you were given a check for $2000 and ordered to use it on something fun for yourself, what would you spend it on?
New flooring for my kitchen and dining room. If I had laminate or hardwood instead of white linoleum and beige carpet, I could spend less time cleaning and more time reading and writing and playing with my family.
- If you were guaranteed a handsome salary no matter what, what would be your ultimate dream job?
- What do you do consistently in your free time simply because you enjoy it?
Read and write.
- What do you purposefully make time for not because you have to but because you want to?
Reading, writing, and hanging out with my family.
- If money was not an issue, what activity would you spend time doing more regularly?
If money was not an issue, I’d hire someone to clean my house and do the shopping so I could have more time to…wait for it…read, write and hang out with my family.
So basically it looks like my main passions are reading, writing and parenting. Shocked? I thought not. 🙂 I’m not sure it makes a great blog niche, but it’s what I like. What would your answers to Amy’s questions be?