Hannah is low on dresses for church right now, so I decided to make her one. I’m delighted with how it turned out!
I had a lone cutwork linen pillowcase that I bought when we lived in Korea back when I was in middle school. It’s very pretty, but not very useful since there isn’t a pair. I was so inspired by the pillowcase dresses on A Little Loveliness that I decided to rescue the pillowcase from a life of relative obscurity in my linen closet and repurpose it into a Sunday dress for Hannah.
I swagbuck-searched “pillowcase dress” and found this pattern for the sleeve cut out. I used that and added a little extra on top for seam allowance. At first I couldn’t figure out how to bind the arm opening, but then I tried bias tape and it worked fabulously. That is some amazing stuff, bias tape.
Sadly the result was, as you can see from the photo above (in which Jack’s heiny has been photo edited out because they had just gotten out of their baths!), just too long. Although you can find some cute artistic shots of kids in ankle length dresses, it’s not a very practical length for Sunday School. I decided to recut the top using the same pattern piece from the link above, but adding two and a half inches to the top. I could have acutally gone with three inches.
Much better! Hannah is delighted with her new dress, and I’m feeling pretty proud of my work, even though a pillowcase dress is probably the world’s most simple sewing project. It came out so cutely that I’m going to be on the lookout for cute or vintage pillowcases to make more dresses out of!