It seems that this deal has been modified as of this morning. You can still get a $25 gift card from the Geico website (as described in step 1 below), but you will have to use it for a purchase of at least $50. You can also still get the free hamburgers from step 2, but if you combine that with the Geico card from step 1, you will still have to spend $25 out of pocket. If you were to order, for example, 32 steak burgers for $39, plus the free 12 burgers, and shipping, then applied your $25 gift card, you’d be spending approximately $2.25 per pound for the beef, delivered. In my area, $2.25 a pound for lean ground steak is still a really good price, but it’s up to you if you feel like that is worth your money or not.
Further Update: Now some people are reporting that the $25 gift card is only good for orders over $100. I’m sorry I can’t actually come up with any way to make that frugal, unless you were already planning to spend that much, in which case maybe the gift card and free burgers will help you get a better deal than you would have gotten otherwise.
And EVEN FURTHER: Apparently if you actually call Omaha Steaks and place your order on the phone, they will give you the $25 off without the $50 or $100 restriction, but you won’t get the free burgers that way. Still, you’d get the 8 burgers for $1.99, which is 2.5 pounds of meat for under $2, and still a good deal.
Seriously, this is the best deal I’ve seen in a long time – you get five and a half pounds of ground steak for 36 cents a pound! Delivered straight to your house! The details are below:
1) Go to this link to sign up for the Geico website. You do NOT have to have Geico, you do NOT have to switch any of your insurance. It just gives you a username for their website, and they will email you within an hour or so with a link to a gift card code. Check your spam folder if you don’t get the email after two hours or so. The gift card number is really long, so double check when you write it down.
2) Go to this link and type in your email address. They will send you an email confirmation right away, and there is a link within the email to start shopping. After you get your gift card code from step one, use that link to order the hamburgers (described below) and it will automatically give you 12 free 4 ounce burgers. The 12 free won’t show up in your cart until you check out, so don’t panic.
(Update: link from step 2 should be fixed now)
3) When you get your gift card code and go to the link through the step two link, you’ll be at the Omaha Steaks website. In the left hand sidebar, click on the link for “burgers/brats” etc. Scroll down until you see the option for “eight 5 ounce steak burgers” for 12.99. Add that to your cart, then checkout. (Note: apparently the $12.99 option doesn’t work for everyone, if you get through the next step and it doesn’t work, go back and get the $14.99 option. It will cost you $2 more out of pocket, but you’ll get that much more meat.)
4) At checkout, you enter your address etc and you should see the 12.99 burgers, plus the 12 free burgers you got from doing step 2 above. At the point where they ask for payment, you’ll see that they add in about $13 for shipping – don’t worry, your gift card code will cover that. Before you enter your credit card (or paypal – one of the payment options is “pay by paypal” if that is easier for you), enter your gift card code and hit “apply” or whatever the button says next to that. That should take your total down to roughly $1.98. Then enter your actual payment method and you will only be charged $1.98 (it may be a few cents more or less depending on your address, it was $1.98 for me)
5) Complete the transaction. In a few days you’ll be getting a cooler shipment of 5.5 pounds of Steak burgers, which works out to ONLY 36 CENTS A POUND!
That is a rad deal for ground beef. They will come as hamburgers, but you can brown them like regular hamburger to use in other recipes. It’s not organic beef, but should be high quality and if nothing else you can use it in meals you take to other people or whatnot.
It seems more complicated a process than it is – start to finish it only took me a few minutes to do it.