Yesterday I had to go to the eye doctor to get a new contact lens prescription. While I was there, the doctor dilated my eyes. Why did he do that? It has been a long long time since I had my eyes dilated. So long, in fact, that I don’t remember when the last time was, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t drive myself home afterwards.

As he put the drops in, the doctor said, “Now, since you have light colored eyes, it might take up to an hour and a half to wear off.”

The doctor was what the experts like to call “A Lying Liar Who Lies.”

Folks, I finally went to bed NINE HOURS after having my eyes dilated and they were STILL DILATED.

That would be no big deal if it was not such a painful condition to endure. You know how it feels when you get up in the middle of the night and suddenly turn on a bright light? That is how I felt all day. And it also made me extremely farsighted, which is to say, I couldn’t see a thing within a foot of my face, and the rest of everything was blurry too.

I had to drive myself home after this procedure, and that made me what the experts like to call “A Hazard.” I was gripping the wheel of my mother-in-law’s car, squinting fiercely, and exceedingly glad I know the way home from Community North really well. I couldn’t see the dashboard to know how fast I was going, and I couldn’t see the street signs, and I was having trouble focusing on much of anything.

En route to my house, I had the brilliant idea of stopping at Walgreens to get my 99 cent cheese. That was when I realized the true extent of my blindness. I walked in and realized I couldn’t see any of the products. Moreover, I couldn’t tell which of the two coupons I had with me was the one for the cheese. And I couldn’t read the coupon to tell what the item limit was. I guessed four and was correct. I think the cashier thought I was on drugs or something, because of my crazy eyes and the fact that I couldn’t see what I was doing. Oh well.

Once I got home, I didn’t know what to do with myself. The kids hadn’t napped while my mother-in-law was there, so they went down for late naps and I couldn’t read, couldn’t see the computer, couldn’t really do much of anything else, and wasn’t tired. I tried to answer some emails, but I was leaning about four feet back to even remotely see what I was doing, and couldn’t tell if I was making typing mistakes. Also the brightness of the screen hurt my eyes, so I quit that activity posthaste. Sorry if you got a weird email from me yesterday, now you know why!

Eventually I just went to bed early, which was probably for the best. This morning my eyes seem back to normal, but feel strained. The new contact prescription I got is actually weaker than my old one, so I think maybe my eyes are having to fight to see as well as they are used to. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or not. At this point I don’t have a whole lot of confidence in that eye doctor anyway!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

CommentLuv badge

A Spirited Mind HomeAboutReadingWritingParenting

Thank you for joining the conversation at A Spirited Mind! Please keep your comments kind and friendly, even if you're disagreeing with me or another commenter. Comments that use inappropriate language, or that are cruel, threatening, or violent will be deleted. I'm sure you understand!